Saturday, August 24, 2013

AMELIA EARHART: THE DISAPPEARANCE (historical fiction)





  Amelia Earhart was the first female pilot to fly solo across the vast Atlantic Ocean. Since her disappearance in 1937, during which she attempted to make the longest distance flown by mankind by plane she radioed that she was running out of gas mysteriously and disappeared. The intended destination was Howland Island but no one knew if she crashed landed or didn’t even arrive at all. No body, or plane was found. Many have only guessed at where she disappeared to, or if she even survived. All we know is that no one has heard from her since the proclaimed “accident.” Would you like to know what really happened?
 
July 2, 1937
  I woke up to sunlight so bright that it momentarily blinded me. When I regained vision I looked around me and saw a beautiful seashore with crystal-clear water. As I was lying on the sand, my body felt sore everywhere. I had cuts on my arms and more bruises than I could handle. Where am I? Who am I? I racked my brain just trying to remember. Frustratingly, I concluded that I did not know what had happened to me. My heart was thumping fast and my ears were buzzing from the heat. Slowly, I scanned the sun drenched horizon as a plane was sinking into the ocean. Was that how I got here, by plane? As it sank I was approached by a European-looking lady in all out aviator gear. She asked me, “What is your name?” “I don’t know anything about myself anymore. How about you?” I reply. “My name is Lydia Litvyak. You need to come with me for interrogation. I just landed here in my plane. You probably got amnesia. That’s why you don’t know who you are. Come with me, I’ll take you to the headquarters.” “Okay. But­ will you promise that you’ll help me figure out who I am?” Lydia smiled. “Let’s see.” As we walked to her plane, little did we know that our life saving friendship had just began right there and then.




August 1, 1943
  It has been six years since Lydia and I have become friends. She and other aviators will be flying to what will later on be known as the Battle of Kursk wherein us, the Soviet Union, are against Germany. Everything was going as planned until Lydia approached me. “I’m pregnant and I have to leave the country. What will I do? The government will catch and arrest me!” She was already holding back tears as I made a plan. “I will pretend to be you, Lydia. I will fly.” After a short pause she said, “Thank you so much. I will forever be in debt. I hope to see you again one day.” But little did we know what awaited me at battle.

 During battle Amelia fought and flew with such success as she was attacking a group of German bombers. When she was heading back to the base she got shot by a convoy of German planes. She died in her plane after sustaining a mortal head wound.
  Lydia was able to seek refuge in her hometown, Moscow. She named her baby Amelia and was able to live a quiet life. Her death was of old age. She still remembered Amelia, but never knew that she died in the war.
 Amelia, in Lydia’s name, was awarded the title “Hero of the Soviet Union” after her death. It was for the fierce aviator battle she faced before she died. Amelia Earhart will truly be remembered for her courage and perseverance in all the problems that she faced.
THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments system