Sunday, March 6, 2016

What I Learned At Harvard Model Congress Asia




CX Harvard Model Congress Asia—those four seemingly intimidating words stared back at me as I stepped into the campus of Seoul National University. Little did I know that when I leave the campus, several days after, my brain would be filled to the brim with amazing experiences and lessons that would last a lifetime.

At the HMCA newsroom, I met tons of people who have different interests, culture, and personalities. Despite those differences, we were one with our passion for writing and covering the news. As member of the media committee, my fellow delegates and I worked ‘round the clock to publish updates on meetings, delegates, and debates. This did not only challenge our ability to produce quality articles in such a short time but also tested our interview skills. It also taught us how to have grace under pressure and be cool-headed even in the face of deadlines. Being in the media committee gave me the opportunity to go out in the field and look into the works of other committees, watch debates, and share the news with everyone in the conference immediately.
The 21st century has redefined what it means to write good and informative news articles. When the Gutenberg press was invented in 1440, more people, not just the upperclass, started to have access to the Bible. In 1844, newsprint was born and it opened the gates to the field of media, giving people greater and easier access to information and news. For over a century, people have been taking journalism for granted. Few are able to understand and appreciate the hard work, research, and analysis that journalism entails. It is more than sharing your thoughts but sharing it in such a way that others can benefit and be better people.
In the modern world, practically anyone can write a blog and share their thoughts on social media but not everyone can call themselves “journalists.” Famous writer Ray Bradbury once said: “Journalism keeps you planted in the earth.” Reporting current events and worldwide problems may be one thing, but understanding the issues in our society and striving to find solutions for them is another thing. And I challenge people to do more than just flipping the pages of newspapers or clicking on sites. Use our accessibility to media and information today to contribute to society.
At HMCA, I have learned a lot on how to be a future-ready leader. On-the-spot writing and doing introductions are two things that I was able to practice at the conference. Being surrounded by delegates who are passionate about society and solving its problems really inspired me to seek and continue to make a change in any way that I can. After all, the aspiring young leaders of today may be the future leaders of tomorrow and its future.
Read more at http://www.mb.com.ph/what-i-learned-at-the-harvard-model-congress-asia/#UZfr2xw1EcucKRqU.99

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments system