Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Movie Review: The Fault In Our Stars




Hazel and Gus are two cancer bitten teens who share a love for certain books, a contempt  for the conventional, and a kind of a love that sweeps both them—and us—on a roller coaster of a journey. Their relationship was extraordinary given that it started at a cancer support group. The Fault In Our Stars, based on the number one award winning novel by John Green, explores the ups and downs of being young and in love. 


Hazel Grace Lancaster (Shailene Woodley) was diagnosed with lung cancer when she was thirteen years old. She’s sixteen now, and still on medical treatment. She also attends a cancer support group wherein she meets the funny, witty, and (at times) metaphorical, Augustus Waters (Ansel Elgort). He’s been in remission for about a year and a half and purchases cigarets but doesn’t light them. 

“It's a metaphor, see: You put the killing thing right between your teeth, but you don't give it the power to do its killing.” 


He and Hazel share a love for a certain book that ends in (somewhat) a cliffhanger. When Augustus contacts the author’s assistant in hope of getting a reply to get some closure on the story, what happens when they do get a reply? Find out on this whirlwind of a story.  

The Fault in Our Stars is one of my favourite young adult books of all time. Like any great book, the Fault in Our Stars has not only been limited and recommended to the young adult audience. Many adults have read and enjoyed this book as well. So, of course, I had very high expectations for this book-to-movie adaptation. I was definitely not disappointed. At all. I love this movie as I loved the book. I cried and laughed throughout this movie. I learned many lessons from it, and can say that this book (and movie) changed my perspective on life, to appreciate the world we live in and to see the beauty of it. Even the little things from the hellos from people you greet, to the goodbyes to things that you just can’t change.

I’d recommend watching this movie with your mom, or any feminine figure in your life. Hazel and her relationship with her mom was just so heartbreakingly realistic that I couldn’t help but hold on to my mom’s hand while watching the movie. 

Inspired by Esther Earl, a young girl who died from thyroid cancer in 2010, her story provided John Green the direction that he needed to tell the story. You can read more about Esther and her story in her recently published book entitled “This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl.” 

Shailene Woodley, who plays Hazel, is also the young star of Divergent and the Descendants. She says that the Fault In Our Stars will forever leave “a lasting impression on her.” She quotes, “It was truly one of the biggest honors of my life to be a part of this project.  Both the film and novel explore the most powerful and universal themes.  The story taught me that all is fleeting, that nothing is guaranteed, and that however long or short a life you live, it is the small moments that mean the most. 
“I wanted the role so badly I sent John Green a long, long email about how much I loved the book, and how I had to play Hazel,” Woodley continues.“So I sat down with the studio executives and producers and said, ‘I’ll be a P.A. or an extra, just please, please let me be a part of it!’”

Ansel Elgort, who stars as Gus, got to work with Shailene in the movie Divergent as her brother. Shailene notes that this previous onscreen pairing was “a blessingfor our work together in the Fault in Our Stars because we already knew each other and had this on-screen chemistry, so it was easy to connect as Hazel and Gus. Ansel’s like my brother; he’s so curious about the world and everything excites him.”



Things I liked:

-the transition of the book to script

-the amazingly accurate and talented casting

-the beautiful musical screenplay

-the loyalty of the movie to the book

I’d give this movie:

5/5 stars ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments system