Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Book Review: To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han




Lara Jean Song writes love letters to boys. They are letters that she will never send. She pours her heart into them by writing all the thoughts and feelings (for the guys) that she would never reveal or say to anyone. Her system goes like this: fall for the guy, write the letter, and slowly get over him. But one day, all of the letters get sent, including the one to her sister’s ex-boyfriend, Josh. In a desperate attempt to convince Josh that she doesn’t like him anymore, Lara Jean creates a “fake” relationship with one of her past crushes, and letter receiver, Peter Kavinsky. From there on, Lara Jean’s (love) life turns upside down.

            In my opinion, this is one of the best young adult contemporary novels in the business. This is because of many, many reasons. The characters are realistically flawed. They’re not perfect, far from it actually. But when you read their dialogue or immerse yourself in their persona, one can’t help but think that s/he can relate to each and every single character in this novel.

            Jenny Han, the author of “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before,” has set her story in contemporary America, while still adding on to her main character’s Korean roots. Although Lara Jean Song lives in the USA, she very well incorporates her Asian culture into the food that she eats and clothes that she wears. But aside from the iridescent setting and resilient characters, the most outstanding things about “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” are the morals that you grasp throughout the book. Similar to the other people in the novel, Lara Jean is flawed. But what makes her such an amazing character is that she embraces her imperfections and insecurities while striving to set a good example for her little sister, Kitty. When faced with rigid times and perplexing decisions, Lara Jean always thinks of her family, and does whatever it takes to support them. Her ability to empathize with her siblings and do what is right are two traits that we should all strive possess. After all, boys and crushes may come and go, but family is forever.

FUN FACT: The second book in this duology, entitled P.S. I Still Love You, comes out this May 26th! 

Points that I Liked:
-diverse characters
-unpredictable plot
-page-turning dialogue
-witty humor

Rating:
5/5 hearts


4 comments:

  1. I love, love, love realistic characters and a book that can make me laugh. I really want to read this one now! It is also relatable to me because I wrote a letter to a crush of mine but never sent it xD I'd probably die from embarrassment if it was sent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! I do hope that you'll like it. :) Thanks for commenting, Alise!

      Delete
  2. Hi audrey. Reading this made me want to read the book. Thank you for your words. I hope upper school has been kind to you😄😄😄- Teacher Mae De Leon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Teacher Mae! :) Upped school is great; we've been learning heaps of literature. I hope that you're doing well!

      Delete

Comments system